Real estate is a full time career
There are many people who sell real estate part time that do well. However, the really successful agents understand that this career requires a full time commitment. We live in an age where instant response is crucial and working part time limits your availability to your clients. Sure it can be done, but the more time you spend on your business, the more you will get from it.
The real estate industry offers one of the best careers. Low start-up costs and it gives you an opportunity to run their own business. It offers freedom of time to come and go as you please. It allows you to escape an 8 to 5 job with flexibility and the ability to earn a very lucrative income.
People have jumped into the industry with unrealistic expectations. Please make note that:
- Real Estate Agents do not get paid weekly: This means no weekly paycheck! Helping someone buy or sell a home allows an agent to receive a commission based on the sale price of the home. Typical commissions range anywhere from 3-6% or more, with the buying and selling agent splitting the commission. Obviously, budgeting your income is very important as sales of homes may not be regular throughout the year.
- Lead generation and management is your Top Priority:Once you are trained as a real estate agent, lead generation is your top priority to having a great career. Without leads and opportunities, you will not be able to work with clients and ultimately earn money. Obviously customer service is very important as well, however without the leads coming in, you may find yourself waiting a long time for your next client. Generate Leads! and Build your pipeline!
- Make sure you have some money saved before you begin the career! You will have to invest time and money the first few months.
- A laptop, a good digital camera, a smart phone,and reliable internet service at work and home are some of the basic items/ services you need. As you build your business, a Real Estate Calculator, a laser tape measure instead dragging a tape measure across rooms is very essential especially for commercial real estate (Laser Distance Measurer or a Laser Dimension Master). Pen and Pencil with a notepad at all times. Most of these items can be purchase through our online store.
- Most importantly, you need business cards where ever you go, have a name badge with a GREPA logo on at all times during work, Brochures about you and your Profession.
- Not every Agent can afford a car and expenses that comes with it especially in this part of the world. It is great to have a car but that can come in later to make work easier and more professional.
- A Successful Agent is:
- Self starter, motivated
- Good communicator/listener
- Able to work from a plan and have goals
- Professionalism and integrity